NEUTRAL CURRENT COMPENSATOR
Non-linear as well as linear loads, if unbalanced, cause neutral current in the distribution systems. The neutral current not only causes additional losses in the neutral and incoming transformer but can also cause supply transformer star point deviate from earth potential (zero or reference potential). This can give rise to unwanted / unwarranted variation in line to neutral load voltages, many times causing visible flicker. This can also affect synchronization of drives connected on the same voltage bus causing production loss.
The Neutral Current Compensator (NCC) can help the customers resolve these issues economically and achieve reliable operations of their plants. The product can be used in any given system voltage from LV to HV without any additional transformer
The compensator helps in eliminating neutral current in the system. Thus, it helps in elimination of triplens harmonic in the neutral current which further helps in reducing large current distortions in caused by these harmonics in supply line currents.
Salient Features / Advantages of the NCC
- Can be used for star as well as delta connected supply feeding power to star connected balanced / unbalanced and linear / non-linear load
- Reduces neutral current flowing in the supply (directly or through earth) to near zero value, irrespective of the type of non-linear load
- Helps in retaining supply neutral voltage (star point) close to earth or zero potential even when earth resistance is high (earth pit goes dry) or supply neutral point gets disconnected from earth or load neutral gets disconnected from supply neutral point or load neutral gets disconnected from earth
- Eliminates “performance” dependency of load neutral connection to supply neutral point or earth
- Reduces unbalance current caused by triplens as well as by other unbalance in other harmonics present in the load currents
- Reduces asymmetry in phase to neutral voltages (deviation from average value) by almost 50%, which further helps in reducing the unbalanced load neutral current.
- Uses only magnetic components offering high reliability
- Robust (fit and forget)
- Easy to manufacture, erect, and commission
- Very economical